The Faculty of Graduate Studies is pleased to offer the Faculty of Graduate Studies Virtual Conference Award for current, full time Master’s and PhD students who will be attending conferences that have moved to a “virtual” format due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The FGS Virtual Conference Award will be offered in lieu of the FGS Travel Award for the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic while travel is not advisable.
Students attending virtual conferences may apply for the FGS Virtual Conference award for reimbursement for the value of their virtual conference registration fee (up to a maximum of $250.00 CAD) towards their costs of attending.
To be eligible for the FGS Virtual Conference Award, a student must:
- be enrolled full-time, and registered in a Master’s or Ph.D. program in the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the time of the virtual conference;
- have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.50 in the last 60 credit hours of study (or equivalent);
- be in good academic standing;
- be attending a virtual conference that is sponsored by a recognized national or international organization to either:
- present a paper/poster/creative work that is relevant to their program of study; or,
- are attending, but not presenting, as part of the conference agenda; and,
- submit a complete application for the FGS Virtual Conference Award (found here) prior to the start date of the conference, or up to 30 days after the conference.
Preference will be given to students who are presenting at a virtual conference; however, students attending virtual conferences, and are not presenting, may also apply for this opportunity.
Students may not receive the FGS Virtual Conference Award more than once at the Master’s level or more than twice at the Ph.D. level. The FGS Virtual Conference Award will not count towards the limits on the FGS Travel Award when travel to conferences resumes.
The funding available for the FGS Virtual Conference Award will be spent until the funds are exhausted.
Failure to meet the above criteria will result in an unsuccessful application.